- Q is for Quercus, which is Latin for Oak. This is the first letter for all of our grades.
- P is for Product – The second letter shown is the product:
- B is for Boules – Cut from one tree, can be cut to any thickness – Waney Edge
- S is for Selected Boards – Does not have to be the same tree and can be cut to any thickness or length needed – Waney Edge
- F is for Squared Edge – Sawn to size – Kiln Dried Oak
- P is for Beams – Cut to length required and can have several finishes – Oak Beams
A, 1, 2, 3 is for Quality – The last letter refers to the quality grade. The letter can be an A for exceptional quality Oak, or it can be a number 1 to 3, with 3 being of lower quality.
1 being good quality and 3 would have quite a bit of character, such as knots and sap. There is also a 4 which is the lowest quality, but we don’t supply that. The quality grade can also be referred to as Prime, FAS (first and seconds), Joinery, Character.